Shhhhh, don’t tell your kids… There’s a full serving of mixed greens in this post-exercise purple powerhouse!
Or you can tell them after. I’m not usually into “hiding” veggies and healthy ingredients in dishes because I want kids to learn to enjoy and want the healthy food. However, if you are trying to take control and get your children off of a cycle of picky eating, hiding first and then telling them once they love it is the next best option!
We have had a few hot days in the Northeast and I was just craving something cold yesterday after spin and yoga. We had some local mixed lettuces, looking pretty in purple & green, but a salad just sounded awful ( <– extremely abnormal feeling for this girl). So I put the greens to good use with some organic frozen fruit, almond milk and garden of life raw protein. Don’t worry if you don’t have the latter on hand though, because this will work with some yogurt and vanilla extract too. See both options below!
Purple Power Smoothie (GF, V & DF option)
- 1/2 C frozen cherries (I get Cascadian Farm brand in bulk at BJ’s)
- 1/2 C frozen wild blueberries
- 1/2 C frozen sliced peaches (can sub mango)
- 1 C packed spring mix
- 1 C milk or unsweetened non-dairy milk (I like Silk brand cashew or almond)
- 1 scoop garden of life original raw protein or
- 1 C siggi’s, plain yogurt or plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract + milk or water as needed for blending
Add all ingredients to whatever blending tool you have whether it be a fancy vitamix, kitchen aid blender or tiny magic bullet.
Tip: If using bullet type blenders, for best consistency and easiest blend, I recommend putting fruit in first, topped with yogurt or protein, then greens and milk/liquid.
Pulse until smooth and enjoy!
This is a great post-workout blend of carbs & healthy protein. If you’d like to turn it into a meal, I recommend adding a tablespoon of chia or hempseeds and using an extra total 1/2 C of fruit, 1 C of greens and 1/4-1/2 extra scoop or protein or extra 1/2 serving of yogurt.
Nutrition Information Per Serving (for garden of life & almond milk option)
- Calories: 230
- Total Fat: 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: .5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Carbohydrate: 35 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Sugar: 20 g (all from fruit, none added)
- Protein: 20 g
- Sodium: 195 mg 13 % Potassium: 330 mg 7 %
- Vitamin A: 17% Riboflavin: 39 % Niacin: 20 %
- Vitamin B6: 21 % Vitamin B12: 125%
- Vitamin C: 89 % Vitamin D: 30%
- Calcium: 48 % Iron: 32 % Zinc: 11 %
- Magnesium: 4 %
**vitamins & minerals are listed as % daily value; you may need more than 100% each day if you’re an athlete, have a deficiency disease, or other medical concern