While the sabra spread contest ended a few weeks ago, my use of the spreads is still going strong. I’ve used the garlic herb and cracked pepper on eggs and roasted potatoes but, I had to share this sandwich recipe, too. Last week on “National Kale Day” (yeah, I celebrate as many of those food days as I can), after a tough workout, I decided to throw the grilled salmon that I had marinated in the Sabra spread on some sprouted grain bread with steamed kale, sprouts, onion tomato and more of the spread. It was amazing! It’s also a lot easier than you think to make delicious salmon on a weekday! Hopefully I can motivate you to cook up this great source of recovery protein and anti-inflammatory omega-3’s and throw it on some sprouted grain bread to refuel those muscles!
The veggies and sprouts are an easy way to give your sandwich a nice crunch, and make it more colorful. Remember, you eat with your eyes first and should be eating a rainbow! I used Lancaster Food Co. bread this time around but, you can read more about my bread recommendations here.
Garlic Herb Salmon Sandwich (Dairy Free)
- 1 pound wild-caught salmon, bones removed
- 7 tbsp Sabra Garlic Herb Spread, divided
- 2 Cups any variety kale
- 1 Cup sprouts
- 1 beefsteak tomato, sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 slices of your favorite whole grain bread
- Spread 3 tbsp of the garlic herb spread on the top of the salmon before covering and placing in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours
- Heat the grill to medium and spray olive oil on grates to coat
- Place salmon skin side down on the grill, close the grill, and let cook for 6-8 minutes depending on thickness of the fish
- If desired, flip the salmon, and cook an additional 4-6 minutes
- While salmon is grilling, heat a pan over low heat
- Add the kale to the pan, cover for one minute
- Remove the cover and pour 2 tbsp water into the pan, and cover immediately to quick-steam the kale
- Turn off the heat and let sit
- Remove the skin from the salmon once cooled
- Add 1 tbsp of the spread to each of 4 slices of bread and then the kale, onion and tomato
- Top veggies with salmon, then sprouts and the other slice of bread
- Enjoy with a side salad or brothy soup!