I’ve had this recipe ready for awhile, and national chocolate chip cookie day seemed fitting for me to finally post it!
When it comes to sweets, I’m a chocolate person. Most days a square or two of Alter Eco dark chocolate is what I’m craving, but sometimes I need melty chocolate to satisfy the craving. Cookie or brownie type of melty chocolate.
Still, as much as I love baking, taking the time to bake something from scratch (and then cleaning up from it) isn’t usually on the agenda. Plus, I rarely need a dozen cookies for 2 people and a 16 month old. So, the microwave sounded like a reasonable way to get a melty chocolate cookie and brownie done.
I set out to mix the simplest ingredients to make this all feasible, too, and after playing around with quantity countless times, I present you with 3 cookies in under 3 minutes. I’ll also have a peanut butter and brownie version to publish sometime in the future, too. You’re welcome.
- This recipe is delicious and certainly delivers on flavor and melty chocolate, but if you’re looking for the cookie texture from what grandma served right out of the oven, you’ll probably still want to bake from scratch and freeze the dough if you only want a few cookies.
- I like to sprinkle some Maldonado salt on top after they’re “baked”
- I recommend using fair trade or direct trade chocolate. Many people do not realize that commercial chocolate brands produce products dependent upon slave workers in Africa. I like Pascha for chips and often chop up an Alter Eco or Tony’s Chocoloney bar. Whole Foods and Sprouts have options in the bulk area, too.
4 Ingredient Chocolate Chip Mug Cookie
Makes 3-4 cookies
- 1 medium ripe mashed banana (about 1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup quick cook oats
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mini dark chocolate chips
- Optional: 1/8 tsp baking soda
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together all ingredients, except for chocolate chips, well.
- Next, fold in chocolate chips
- Spray the bottom of 3-4 mugs (depending on the size of the bottom) with non stick cooking spray, or grease with coconut oil or a vegan buttery spread.
- Microwave one mug for 45 seconds, or two for 60 seconds. Time may vary by 5-15 seconds depending on power of your microwave.
- Grab a spoon or fork to eat straight out of the mug, or use a long rubber frosting spatula to carefully remove from the mug.