I’m finally getting into a groove balancing being a new Mom, working and making yummy meals. So much so that I’ve got normal blogging, Facebook lives and newsletters on the schedule! There’s so many recipes and thoughts I have to share and I’m excited to finally have the time to!
So let’s get right to it! I’ve been experimenting with a breaded buffalo tempeh and just can’t seem to perfect it yet. In the meantime, the flavor combo of Franks Red Hot and Miyokos double cream chive non-dairy spread is my new favorite thing, so I wanted to share this simple dish with you.
First, for all of you who may be wondering what in the world tempeh is, it’s a fermented soy product with much more texture than tofu. The fermentation process means it provides you with probiotics, supporting your gut health, which we know is linked to a variety of benefits. Soy is also a high quality protein making it great for anyone, but especially active individuals post-workout.
While tempeh can actually be eaten without heating, baking it really helps infuse the buffalo sauce flavor and improve the texture for this sandwich.
I’ve enjoyed this at home, on-the-go, and in wrap form on a flight to Phoenix (will recap that soon!). Tim now prepares tempeh most often this way as well. Hope you love it, too!
Easy Buffalo Tempeh Sandwich
- 1 8 ounce package tempeh
- 2-3 Tbsp hot sauce (I prefer Franks Red Hot
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2-3 ounces spreadable seasoned cheese or non-dairy cheese (I prefer Miyokos double cream chive)
- 4-6 slices whole grain bread
- Sandwich toppings such as red onion, Bibb lettuce and tomato
- Set oven to 375
- Slice tempeh into 12-16 strips thin (pictured above
- Mix hot sauce and oil in a small bowl
- Spray a baking dish with a nonstick spray or coat with a tsp if oil
- Place tempeh in baking dish and baste with the hot sauce mixture. You should have some leftover.
- Place in oven and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove this from oven and flip over tempeh. Baste the other side of the pieces with the remaining hot sauce and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Toast your bread and spread one ounce of cheese or non-dairy cheese on half of the slices. Top those with sliced tempeh, onions, lettuce and any preferred toppings.
- Serve and enjoy!