With Thanksgiving coming up next week, it’s definitely time to start sharing recipes for the holidays! I’ve been whipping these up and impressing family members on Thanksgiving for at least five years, so it is about time you get to enjoy them, too. Since these aren’t the prettiest of all my recipes, I showed a picture and polled my Instagram followers to see if they were still worth posting on the blog. I had an overwhelming 96% say YES, so lucky you, you get to eat these delicious things, too.
The best thing about this super simple recipe is that it also works as a pre-workout snack. One of my favorite things to nosh on before a sweat session is a large medjool date that I often dip in peanut butter or almond butter. I think the flavor of the pistachios works even better though, and the texture is perfect to make ahead, store in the fridge, and serve later.
Whether you choose to whip up these pistachio stuffed dates to have out before you serve dinner to holiday guests, or have it out with desserts for a bite-sized nutrient dense option, I’m sure everyone will love it.
All set for appetizers this holiday season? Check out my all time favorite Thanksgiving side, Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Butternut Squash and Cranberries or my go-to Refined Sugar-Free Cranberry Sauce. I’ll also be on Good Day Philadelphia this Wednesday morning to share more plant-based Thanksgiving sides even carnivores will love, and the blog will highlight them that day, too!
Pistachio Stuffed Dates
vegan, gluten-free, *contains nuts
- 1/2 Cup salted shelled pistachios
- 12-16 medjool dates
- Optional: crushed pistachios, unsweetened coconut flakes or hemp seeds
- Add the pistachios to a food processor and pulse until you’ve created the texture of a paste, but not quite a nut butter. Time varies by processing device.
- With a pairing knife, slice straight through the top of each date, allowing you to carefully remove the pit, and have enough room to stuff the date with the pistachio paste.
- Spoon enough of the pistachio mixture into each date so that it is filled.
- If desired, press toppings into the pistachio mixture.
- Serve or store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for 7-10 days.