I know, I know, I’ve been posting a lot of dessert-like recipes lately. You all must be devastated by the fact that these delicious bites all contain tons of nutrients and are a super healthy way to indulge.
I couldn’t pass up posting this recipe though, because it’s The Recip Redux’s 6th birthday! We were all challenged to create a mini cake or mini indulgence to celebrate, and I knew exactly what I would be posting!
I whipped up this recipe for Tim’s birthday in March as a cake and we were in love.
The brownies are sweetened only with dates and get their amazing fudginess from avocado and ground chia seeds.
Topping it off, this frosting is made with hemp seeds, maple syrup and cashew milk (or whatever milk you choose). Hemp seed frosting is something I’ve had in my mind for a while and I’m pumped that I finally got to it and it more than worked out! Without powdered sugar, nonetheless. 😉
Oh, and athletes and active followers: yes, you can have one (or two) preworkout. Again, you have a “treat” with the right amount of carbs, with a tad of fat, protein and fiber. And female athletes, they’re packed with iron!
Black Bean Brownie Bites with Hemp Seed Cacao Frosting
Makes about 32 mini brownies
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 medium avocado
- 3/4 Cups (packed) pitted medjool dates
- 3/4 Cups cacao or cocoa powder
- 2 chia or flax eggs (2 Tbsp ground seeds + 5 Tbsp water)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp milk of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon each baking powder and baking soda
- 1 Cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 C pure maple syrup
- 1 1/3 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 Cup cacao powder
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat oven to 350 degreees
- Add beans, avocado and dates to a food processor or high quality blender and pulse until well combined
- Add cacao powder, chia eggs, vanilla and milk and pulse until smooth
- Finally, add baking powder and soda and pulse just until incorporated
- Add 1 heaping tablespoon of batter to a (very) mini muffin tin that has been sprayed with cooking spray
- Bake for 12-14 minutes
- While brownies are baking, pulse hemp seeds, maple and vanilla in food processor until creamy, roughly one minute
- Add cacao, salt and milk, slowly pulsing until cacao is incorporated, then consistently pulsing another 30 seconds until mixture becomes more light and slightly fluffy
- Let sit to cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from tin
- Frost and enjoy!
Take a bite and click the link below to see how
the rest of the reduxers are celebrating! 🎉