The past couple of years we have opted not to partake in a CSA share since we spend so many summer weekends traveling and visiting family. Whenever we are home though, we head to the Wrightstown Farmer’s Market since we absolutely love the super seasonal produce that might only be available for a week or two each year! It’s also great to support local farms and have food immediately after harvest.
My travel unfortunately made me miss the fiddle-head ferns and garlic scapes this year, but green garlic was a great consolation. It took me a few google searches to figure out how much of the plant I should actually be using and thankfully, we can go ahead and eat all of it!
After under 3 minutes of prep and food-processing you can add this to pasta, spaghetti squash (like my avocado walnut pesto), or use it as a topping or marinade for tofu and fish. We even mixed it in with some plain hummus!
Green Garlic Pistachio Pesto
- 1/2 Cup pistachios
- 1/4 Cup basil
- 2 long green garlic stems and bulbs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 Cup olive oil
- 1/3 C water
- Cut the root end of the garlic bulbs off and discard
- Chop the bulbs off and in half and cut the stems into 1-2 inch long pieces
- Add all ingredients, in order listed, into a food processor or high quality blender
- Pulse for 20-30 seconds, until desired consistency is reached