The base for this recipe may not have been cupcakes, but with a tad more moisture and a couple of edits to these chickpea flour banana muffins you now have a successful fiber-ful cupcake. Even better, I have the easiest and most nutrient-rich ways to add patriotic color. This way you can celebrate Memorial Day and 4th of July with them!
Grab some ripe bananas, fresh berries, and hemp hearts and please everyone at your summer parties because this recipe is also vegan, nut-free and gluten-free.
Garbanzo Berry Cupcakes
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons honey or pure maple syrup
- 1/4 Cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs or 2 flax eggs (1 egg = 1 tbsp ground flax & 2.5 tbsp water)
- 1.5 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea flour (garbanzo bean flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup frozen wild blueberries
- 1 stick room temperature grass-fed butter or vegan buttery spread (such as Earth Balance)
- 3 Cups organic confectioners sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk or non-dairy milk
- 1/2 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 Cup fresh strawberries, sliced and halved
- 1/3 Cup fresh blueberries
- 4 tablespoons hemp seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a cupcake tin with olive oil cooking spray or grease lightly with coconut oil or vegan butter spread.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together chickpea flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine melted coconut oil, mashed bananas, honey, applesauce, vanilla extract, eggs, coconut oil and apple cider vinegar; mix until well combined and creamy. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in blueberries.
- Pour batter into prepared cupcake tin. Bake for 14-16 minutes or until tester inserted into center comes out clean.
- While cupcakes are baking in the oven, mix the butter and 1 cup of sugar at a time with the hand-mixer until well-combined. Add 1 Tbsp of milk and the vanilla and beat until mixture becomes fluffy. If necessary, add the last tbsp of milk.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, then carefully invert, remove and place back on wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, frost each muffin and top with sliced strawberries, fresh blueberries and 1 teaspoon of hemp seeds.